Read: Wombat Devine
Lets read a story about receiving gifts: Matthew 25:14-30 If you can answer your question with out help you will get a treat
1.Why did the master call his servants to him?
2. What did he give the first servant?
3. What did he give the second servant?
4.What did the third servant receive?
5. What did the first servant do with his money?
6. What did the second servant do ?
7. What did the third servant do ?
8. Which servants pleased the master ?
9. Why was the master displeased with the last servant?
The parable of the Talent is a very simple story. I have found 7 habits of developing your highly effective talents to consider
1- Starting point is not important. Jesus was just as happy with the man with 2 talents as the man with 5. So starting point does not matter but what you do with it.
Story: I have a dear friend that has a talent of growing a garden. Just as some of the things in her garden are making fruit like peas doesn’t mean that the corn is of less value.
Some of us are born with lots (five talents). Others are born with little (one talent).
Story: Thurl Bailey was an excellent student in school with strong family support, but had never picked up a basketball until the 7th grade. He faced great disappointment when he was cut from the school basketball teams in 7th and 8th grade. At that time he was 6 feet 8 inches tall. In 9th grade he made the team and was co-captain, but played very little. Deciding he really enjoyed playing, he put a lot of effort into learning the game. When he graduated from high school, he was offered 300 college scholarships. After graduation from college, he was in the first round draft picks for the NBA. He has now retired from the Utah Jazz.
Quote: What matters isn’t what we’re given — it’s what we do with it that matters
2- Don’t judge others by where they started. Judge yourself by your own starting point. If you received five talents, don’t pat yourself on the back that you’re already above average. If you have abundant talents, you should expect even more from yourself.
Story: I was student body vise president over activities for salt lake community college. I had not experience I just needed my college paid for. People could of judged me that I was some popular girl that new about politics but I was faking in.
I had to pick a committee of 7 to work with me, each person was to represent a category and plan activities for there group. I had to find someone over: family, the arts, lectures, ect. I interviewed lots of people that wanted a scholarship too. I pick not always the most talented people but the one that I felt would work the hardest, and make the biggest difference.
There may be times in your life where you only have one talent, work hard with it and do the best you can.
Quote: Grow where you are planted.
3- What can we take to heaven?
The knowledge we gain from our talents will rise with us in the resurrection but the Applauds will die, the sparkles will fade. You can’t take the afghan that you crocheted or your favorite trophy. Only will we take the knowledge. We have been entrusted with certain talents. We can bury them in the ground out, or we can push out of our shells and strive to create increase for all.
4- It is ok if you don’t succeed with your talents.
Story: One of my sisters tried out of a lot of stuff and was let down a lot of times in school. Is she any worse for the ware. No she tried she put her best foot forward and gave it her all. Did she Bury her talent? No She tried. Jesus told the 3rd servant ”You wicked, lazy servant. I believe that Jesus is saying that inaction is wicked.
Don’t be lazy. Give it a shot. Give it a try.
Being faithful is what Jesus praised them for.
Quote: Faith without Works is Dead,
Very interesting. He didn’t praise them for being perfect or awesome. But he praised them for their faith, not for their results. If one of the servants had invested money and lost some, I think they would still have been praised for their faithfulness
5- Another great quality of the story is the lack of competition. The servants aren’t competing with each other for their master’s favor. The one who made 5 was not putting down the guy with two. This is an individual sport.
Utensils: Just as you would not want to eat spaghetti with a Spoon or Ice Cream with a fork you can’t get the best part the gooiness or salad with a knife. We are all different and valuable at one time or another.
Story: My sisters and I are very competitive with one another. To much so that when we were young we that were quite good at mountain biking and skiing would make it almost not fun for some with less ability to go out and enjoy the sport. We should not be in competition with each other. It brings someone down and lifts someone up.
6- What’s the ultimate reward for the faithful servants?
What do you think Heavenly Father wants us to get from our talents?
Although Jesus doesn’t say it, it seems obvious they don’t get to keep the money. The two successful servants aren’t even working for their own increase. It’s not their money. They’re working for the increase of their master. Their true reward is to share in their master’s happiness. So happiness is the reward, and happiness comes from serving others.
To make a Quilt for myself is great, But to make one knowing that I am giving it away is the best. It makes me happy.
I am learning to crochet so I can give away baby blankets to my friends.
Focus on creating increase for others, then you will feel great joy in doing that, and it ultimately creates increase for you too.
Quote: Instead of trying to achieve happiness, happily achieve.
7- We want to be the Faithful servants right? Well faith and fear are opposites. Jesus implies in The Parable of the Talents, creating abundance requires you to move beyond fear. If you’re too fearful, scared, embarrassed, suspicious or distrustful, you’re going to bury your talents. This will get you “weeping and gnashing of teeth,” not happiness. You might think that fear and suspicion will keep you from getting in trouble, but really they just cause you suffering and pain.
Story: Vinnie, a friend of mine, teaches a great lessen about fear. He asks can you break this cinder block with your hands. Every one is to scared that they will get hurt. If they try they do not really go for it and can not break it. He then breaks the brick. After people has seen that you can do it they loss there fear and can do it too. If you hesitate at all it will not break. You have to have faith that you can do it and move forward like you will achieve.
You can do hard things if you don’t have fear.
I am scared to play my viola. I am scared that I will mess up. Or that I won’t be as good. I need to get over this.
Summary of the 7 Habits: To live in abundance, you must move beyond fear, competition and work to create abundance for others, and happiness will be your reward.
Memorize: Matthew 25:29
Make a list of the Gifts or talents you have been given in one column on the left. What are your blessings? It is thanksgiving time.
Play Song
On the right write how can you use your talents to serve others? Cook: serve it to others Read:to a child or learn something new you can share Crochet: a hat to give away Sew: a present Decorate:a festival of trees Sing: for others to hear
They will bring you great joy as you learn to serve others with the gifts you have been given.
As you develop your talents, you will come to know the amazingly “Divine” young women you really are and find great joy and happiness in sharing these talents with others.
Serve them pie I made:
Sunday, November 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Since we teach the same lessons, could you get me these ahead so I can just teach your same lesson :) Sounds like a good one...
Post a Comment