What kind of a lesson is this? Anyway here are some of my favorite poems.
Cultural Arts
Question: What has a refining influence on us, that fulfills a basic human need to enjoy and participate in the beauty around us?
list some "Cultural Arts" on the chalk board.
Why do we have them? (To enrich our lives)
How do they make us feel?
Hand out:
Cultural Arts:
Music--Popular, Christmas, Instrumental
Sculpture: wood carving, porcelain statue
Photography: a man smoking, Temple Square with the Christmas lights
Painting: Other artist, Greg Olsen
Poem/Literature: The Few, Good Timber, Footprints in the Sand
Acting/Theatre: Broadways, Play houses, show "Joy to the World"
Finish hand out: list how they felt about each one.
Give a copy of
Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”
Mary Stevenson
The few
The easy roads are crowded; the level roads are jammed,
And the pleasant little river with the drifting folks is crammed,
But up yonder where it's rocky, where you get a better view,
You'll find the ranks are thinning and the travelers are few,
Where the goings smooth and pleasant you will always find the throng,
That many mores the pity seem to like to drift along,
But the steeps that call for courage and the task that's hard to do,
In the end result is glory, for the never wavering few.
Good Timber
The tree that never had to fight,
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out on the open plain,
And always got it’s share of rain,
Never became a forest king,
But lives and dies a scrawny thing.
The man who never had to toil,
To gain and farm his patch of soil,
Who never had to win his share,
Of sun and sky and light and air,
Never became a manly man,
But lived and died as he began.
Good timber does not grow in ease,
The stronger the wind, the stronger trees
The farther sky, the greater the length
The more the storm, the more the strength,
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In tree and men good timbers grow.
Where thickest lies the forest growth
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of much of toilet and much of strife
This is the common law of life.
Douglas Mallock
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment